Microsoft officially released Windows Phone 7.5 across the globe today which is wonderful if you are one of the randomly chosen few who can download it. Microsoft are staggering the update randomly over the next few weeks so the update will become available for different people at different times. If you can’t wait that long there is a simple way to trick Zune into updating your handset early. I strongly recommend that you don’t try this if..
- you have the developer beta build of Mango on your handset. There are other cleanup steps required to take you to the full release version of Mango that may not be performed if you force update. Downgrade using your backup first.
- You have flashed your handset with a leaked ROM.
Also, be warned, I am only assuming that this is safe. If this b0rks your phone then you are on your own! Don’t say I didn’t warn you! It worked for me without any problems and I have not had any reports that it is unsafe.
Connect your phone to your PC and start Zune then Click Settings > Phone > Update and wait a few moments for Zune to decide if you will get an update. If you get a message saying that an update is available install it, otherwise follow these steps…
- Click any other menu item above or below Update in the Phone menu.
- Click the Update menu item to take you back to the panel you were just on.
- Wait a couple of seconds then disconnect you PC from the internet either by pulling the ethernet cable out of the back of it or by disabling your WiFi.
- If you get a message saying your phone is up to date then you weren’t quick enough! Go back to step 1 and try again.
- Hopefully at this stage Zune will sit and think about things for a short while before presenting you with a ‘update available’ screen. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the update.
- There are several updates on the path to Mango. Keep repeating these steps until you get update 7.10.7720. You may find, as I did, that after you force the first update you immediately get a notification about the next update once the forced update has finished installing. If that’s the case, brilliant, just click go.